Many institutional investors continue to allocate a meaningful portion of their portfolios to third party investment managers. Recent industry debate has often focussed on higher level style questions, such as active versus passive management.
This session is looking to provide a forum to explore and debate key considerations in active investment management in a more nuanced way and to identify key success factors in identifying strategies that deliver sustainable alpha.
- How do we maximize (or jeopardize) alpha?
- How do we distinguish true alpha from (smart) beta?
- Where should we take (or constrain) portfolio risk? How do we measure it?
- How do we integrate qualitative factors into our decision making process?
- How has our thinking with regard to manager selection shifted? What are some of the lessons that we’ve learned?
- Understand the broad peer group landscape across equity and fixed income asset classes
- Understand key criteria relevant in investment manager selection
- Distinguish between alpha and beta
- Understand key asset class specific considerations
- Understand evolving trends in investment manager selection
August Cruikshanks, MBA
August leads investment research efforts at Eckler with a broad range of coverage across equity and fixed income asset classes. He joined the Toronto practice in 2011 and has 18 years of investment consulting and plan sponsor experience. Prior to joining Eckler, August was co-head of equity research for a global pension consulting firm and managing director of public market investments for a large public sector pension plan. August holds a master’s degree in business administration from the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Arizona.
Erwan Pirou, CFA
Canadian Head of Fixed Income Research
Erwan is a senior member of the manager research team and plays a crucial role in supporting the Investment Consulting practice. Erwan has a particular focus on fixed income and liability-driven investments. He researches a wide range of fixed income products from Canadian bonds to global and high yield bonds. He also has experience of structuring solutions with derivatives. Before joining Aon Hewitt in 2007, Erwan was a credit analyst at Barclays in London and served as a fixed-income security portfolio co-manager. Erwan has a Master’s degree in corporate finance from Université de Rennes (France).
Elton Lau, CFA, MBA
Principal, Manager Research
Elton Lau is the lead researcher for Canadian Equities and joined Mercer in 2011. Previously, Elton was at RBC Financial Group for over 10 years, his last position as Senior Mutual Fund Analyst at RBC Dominion Securities. In this role, he covered both domestic and offshore funds. During his tenure at RBC, Elton's research team was top ranked as rated by Investment Executive. In the past, he also served in the panel of judges for Morningstar's annual Canadian Investment Awards. Elton has a Master's degree in Business Administration from Queen's University and is a CFA Charterholder.
Who Should Attend
- Institutional investors that outsource asset management
- Manager research professionals
- Investment consultants / advisers
- Asset management professionals
Society Member Discounts
CFA Institute Activity
This program qualifies for credit under the guidelines for the CFA Institute Continuing Education Program
Eligible for 1 CFA Institute CE credit hour
May be eligible for CE credits to maintain CFP® certification
Information on withdrawals, cancellations, and/or refunds can be found here.
By registering for this event you are acknowledging that you have read our Policies.